Much delayed post on the cat and mouse quilt that I made last year for the other brother’s baby. Their first 2 babies are fuzzy and meow, and the human baby was born in the year of the Rat, so they thought it would be cute to have something with both represented.
A fun quilt I made last year for my brother’s new baby. They obviously requested Dr. Seuss. I had a lot of fun deciding prints and layout for this one. Dr. Seuss fabric tends to get really busy and the prints can get overwhelming… which is no surprise… just look at his books! Thankfully there’s a lot of Dr. Seuss fabric out there so I was able to pick and chose what I wanted to use.
I realized recently that I never posted photos of the chocobo and moogle baby quilts that Mi and I made. Lorelai was pregnant with identical twins (OMG. LOL) last year and these were the quilts we gifted the twins. This is obviously the most delayed post ever, but it’s a new year and I’m trying to catch up. =)
I had a bit of spare time yesterday so I hauled out my recently finished teacup quilt for photos.
More baby quilts! I need the people around me to stop having babies for a bit so I can take a break from making baby quilts! =) In all seriousness though, the last 2 quilts were for some of my closest girlfriends, and Mi and I had so much fun making them.
First up was a quilt for Lorelai. Last year, we dressed up all our babies in Totoro costumes so it seemed appropriate to gift her new baby with a quilt in the same theme.
I had originally intended to quilt my Kate Spain Good Fortune quilt myself, but I had a slight miscalculation with my Mouse and Stars Baby Quilt. I had taped the mouse quilt to my floor, and then realized it wasn’t baby quilt sized. It was quite a bit bigger and all I had was baby quilt sized batting. Oops.
Taping down quilts in my house is a big to-do because I have to move all the tables, so I really didn’t want to have to redo it. The only piece of batting I had that was big enough was already being used in my Good Fortune quilt sandwich, but I hadn’t started quilting it, so I decided to steal it for the baby quilt.
Last November, a dear friend told me she was pregnant. She’d waited until pretty late to tell people and I was so thrilled for her! And then I started panicking that I wouldn’t be able to get a quilt done for the new baby. So, everything went on hold for a bit while I rushed to finish this Mouse and Stars Baby Quilt.
For Christmas, I made an I-Spy quilt for The Brood, which they love. I’m really happy they like it because they were pretty apathetic about the other quilts I made them (which is fine, I don’t expect a baby to have much of an opinion about which blanket they’re spitting up on). =D I almost wish I had made the quilt bigger with more blocks except that I didn’t want to sew more blocks…
I’ve been meaning to blog about my latest quilt but I started playing Diablo III again and all of a sudden, I have no free time because I’m busy gaming. =D
I purchased a few jelly rolls when I started looking into quilting 3 years ago, but haven’t gotten around to using them. Jelly rolls are actually kinda big and they were taking up a lot of room in my bins, so I figured it was time to start using them. I picked the Kate Spain Good Fortune jelly roll and the For Emma pattern from the Jelly Roll Dreams book.
There is definitely something to be said for having all your strips pre-cut. Piecing this quilt went very quickly!